Deconstruction: Day 1

Have you ever found the perfect vintage piece but the quality is absolute rubbish? If not, count yourself lucky, I was totally hoodwinked with this silk 1940s number. When I saw it in the shop the only issue I saw was a missing belt (typical of vintage dresses) and missing side snaps. No worries I've got a needle and thread and can put these back on, but honestly for the $90 price tag this should have been done already. I get the dress home and the snaps replaced and find that this has NEVER been dry cleaned as the arms smelled like a sweaty gorilla. $90, I'm just sayin'.



Anyway, I get it cleaned up and the silk just starts ripping and falling apart and there was no way to keep it together without additional damage occurring. What to do? Take that bad boy apart and create a new pattern, that's what.



So with my trusty seam ripper and some coffee I sit down to the delicate task of slowing taking the dress apart. I didn't get very far, I was able to separate the bodice from the skirt and have taken apart one of the two pockets. Tonight, I hope to take the entire skirt apart.



As each piece is removed, they will be labeled and marked with placement and general construction.

No comments: