The end of a legend

Cafe Society, Brookline MA

Sad news in Boston, the last bastion for vintage lovers has been sold to a new and hipper owner. Café Society has been my retail refuge for years, providing vintage clothing at reasonable prices without that annoying trendy hipster vibe felt in many new stores.

Cafe Society, Brookline MA Cafe Society, Brookline MA

I discovered Café Society about four years ago when I changed my route to work and I have been a customer every few weeks since. Imagine my surprise when last Wednesday I drive past the shop and see in the window a moving sign. Anticipating my breakdown, Betsy sent me a note explaining the selling of the shop and that the new owner is changing locations but will keep the store name, but I know it will never be the same again. Knowing that this was my last chance to buy all of the items I had been eyeing before they double in price I grabbed the boyfriend and his wallet and spent several hours looking through the racks and just hanging out.

Cafe Society, Brookline MA
Betsy, Café Society's owner and Lindsay her shop assistant on the last open weekend.

Cafe Society, Brookline MA Cafe Society, Brookline MA

Café Society was exactly what it said it was and nothing more and I will miss driving past the windows every morning scoping out the newest dress on the mannequin who I believe has been in the window since the store opened 30 years ago. The owner, Betsy, loved vintage clothing and when she opened in the early 80’s she was ahead of her time selling jewelry and authentic clothing dating back as far as the Victorian period.

Cafe Society, Brookline MA Cafe Society, Brookline MA

I am so proud to have been part of Café Society’s history and to have known Betsy. I wish her the best on her next adventure. I plan to explore the new Café Society when it re-opens but I don’t expect to spend hours hanging out like I did with the wonderful people who worked at Café Society.

No comments: